INFLATABLE KAYAK FISHING: INTRO
Inflatable Kayak Fishing is a relatively new method of getting yourself out on the water. Inflatable Kayak Fishing is a cheap and easy way of beginning a relationship with kayak fishing. This method has benefits and drawbacks, and this post discusses all of the considerations that should be analyzed before purchasing an inflatable kayak.
First, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
All of my product review posts included on KFC are based on my independent investigation and testing. I have years of kayak fishing experience under my belt, which is necessary for me to rate these products appropriately, and I treat doing so very seriously.
INFLATABLE KAYAK FISHING: GUIDE
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. An affiliate link means that we may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through our links.
This guide is dedicated to explaining all of the important information related to Inflatable Kayak Fishing. This information will introduce you to inflatable kayaks and help you decide if this method of kayak fishing is the best choice for you.
History of Inflatable Kayak Fishing
The history of inflatable kayak fishing is a short one; inflatable kayaks are a relatively recent innovation. Inflatable kayaks have existed for years, but utilizing them for fishing only recently gained mainstream popularity. New material technology has allowed these inflatable kayaks to become more durable without adding extra weight or bulkiness. I anticipate these wonderful watercraft to become even more popular as many millennials with limited budgets join the kayak fishing community. Learn more about the history of other kinds of inflatable boats here!
Negatives of Standard Hard Fishing Kayaks
Most kayak fishermen participate in kayak fishing the “old fashioned” way, by fishing from traditional hard sided fishing kayaks. There is nothing wrong with this approach, and KayakFishingCorner has written extensively about the various kinds of hard sided fishing kayaks that we think are best suited for this type of kayak fishing experience. Kayak fishing from a hard sided fishing kayak does present a somewhat unique set of problems; however, hard sided fishing kayaks are relatively heavy, shaped in an irregular manner, are difficult to carry by oneself, and they also present storage issues for those of our readers who are tight on space.
Benefits of Inflatable Kayak Fishing
Here are some of the primary benefits related to fishing with inflatable kayaks. I have listed them in list form to make them easy to read and understand.
- Less Storage Space
- Easy Transportation
- Light and Easy to Carry
Drawbacks of Inflatable Kayak Fishing
Now that we have listed some of the benefits of Inflatable Kayak Fishing, it is time to list some of the main drawbacks.
- Harder to Maneuver in Water
- Higher Possibility of Leaks
- More Difficult to Equip for Fishing (see below)
- Possibly Less Sturdy/Hardy
Rigging Inflatable Kayak for Fishing
One of the differences between standard and inflatable kayaks is the ease (or lack thereof) of finding a model dedicated to kayak fishing. An abundance of standard fishing kayaks exist that are already equipped and ready for fishing. Most of the kayak fishing equipment is manufactured for standard kayaks. Inflatable kayaks that come fully equipped and ready for fishing are much more rare. That means that it will be up to you to transform an inflatable kayak into a mean fishing machine. It is an important consideration when you are looking at the possible funds necessary to fish with inflatables. This is yet another area where creativity and DIY skills can save you a considerable amount of money.
Inflatable Kayak Fishing Recommendations
The generic inflatable kayak comes in a number of different shapes, sizes and capacities. Some products termed as being an inflatable “kayak” actually more resemble an inflatable dingy or other small boat, and some resemble the more traditional design of a standard kayak. Regardless of your selection of the more or less traditional “kayak”, you’ll want to be sure to consider a number of factors when making your purchase decision.
- First, ensure that your inflatable is crafted of heavy duty and puncture resistant vinyl. There are many, many, cheap quality inflatable products on the market today, and some are listed at attractive prices. KayakFishingCorner can assure you that the extra money “saved” by selecting an inflatable that isn’t built of heavy duty and puncture resistant vinyl isn’t money saved at all, as the inflatable kayak’s longevity will be severely compromised by its cheap materials.
- Second, you’ll want your inflatable to be comprised of two independent air chambers – one for the body of the inflatable kayak itself, and one for the seat contained within the inflatable kayak. Why? You will want to inflate the two different chambers to different pressures. The chamber for the body of the inflatable should be inflated to the pressure suggested by the manufacturer, which is usually very rigid such that the inflatable maintains its stability when under use and experiencing rougher waters. The chamber comprising the seat of the inflatable kayak, however, is not critical to the functionality of the inflatable kayak, and can be inflated to a degree that aligns with the desire of comfort sought by the kayak fisherman.
- Third, be sure your inflatable kayak is built with Boston valves to ensure a quick and efficient inflation/deflation process. This is a critical component of the enjoyability and practicality aspect of kayak fishing from an inflatable kayak. If you cannot get the correct amount of air into your inflatable kayak, you will compromise the ability of the inflatable kayak in situations where rigidity is not only comfortable, it is required. Boston valves are an important aspect to consider relative to ensuring your inflatable kayak can get inflated to an appropriate level.
- Fourth, any high quality inflatable will feature an inflatable “I-Beam” to aid in the rigidity and stability of the inflatable kayak. Without this component, the inflatable kayak is at risk of collapsing in on itself, whether completely or partially. A full collapse of an inflatable is obviously an intolerable result, but even a partial collapse will comprise the inflatable kayak in terms of navigability and overall performance.
- Fifth, you’ll find that most high quality inflatable products come with a patch and repair kit. KayakFishingCorner prefers that the inflatable products that it recommends come with such a patch and repair kit because, while you can purchase such a kit on the aftermarket, there is a certain amount of guess work relative to picking a kit that is compatible with the inflatable kayak material or vinyl.
- When initially included with the product, the guess work is removed, and one can quickly patch and repair his or her inflatable without worry as to whether they are inadvertently causing more problems than they are fixing by using an incompatible patch and repair kit.
Best Inflatable Kayak for Fishing
KayakFishingCorner has researched many hundreds of inflatable kayak products on the market. While there are a number of inflatable offerings, we’ve been dismayed that the quality of many of the products is simply lacking.
However, there are two manufacturers that undoubtedly lead the way in terms of quality and capability. Fortunately for us, they manufacture single person and dual person models, and offer them at a price that allows them to be available to a wide array of kayak fishermen.
We’ve included a link to each product above and below. If you’re in the market for a generic inflatable kayak from which you can partake in kayak fishing, KayakFishingCorner highly suggests you give these models strong consideration.
Another Great Option
Inflatable Kayak Appearance & Weight
Inflatable kayak products for kayak fishing have come a long way in terms of quality and availability in the last several years. They are now to a point of being nearly indistinguishable in terms of quality and performance from a hard sided fishing kayak, and come with the added benefit of being transportable nearly anywhere!
They often weigh between 20 and 40 pounds, and can be compacted to a size in the range of 3 – 5 square feet, making the transportation and storage of this type of fishing kayak truly convenient. They also have many of the same features as standard kayaks including rudders like the one pictured above. If you have been deterred from partaking in the sport of kayak fishing because you are concerned that you don’t have the storage space or means of transportation required for traditional hard sided fishing kayaks, then KayakFishingCorner suggests that it is time for you to consider the flexibility afforded by an inflatable!
I have particularly enjoyed the increased mobility provided by my inflatable kayak, and I’m sure my wife loves that it doesn’t take up too much room in the garage! I initially had concerns about the quality of the inflatable kayak. After all, who wants to be in the middle of a body of water when they spring a leak? After several outings in my inflatable fishing kayak, my initial concerns have been dispelled. I truly enjoy my inflatable kayak, and would encourage KFC readers to try one out for themselves!
You’ve learned all about inflatable kayak fishing, but would you know what to do in the extremely unlikely event of a puncture? Check out this helpful guide, containing a number of kayaking safety tips and tricks!
INFLATABLE KAYAK FISHING: CONCLUSION
I hope that this post has helped you learn more about Inflatable Kayak Fishing. Inflatable Kayak Fishing is one if the easiest ways to be introduced into the world of kayak fishing. I highly recommend it for beginners or prospective fishermen on a budget. If you have any questions regarding Inflatable Kayak Fishing, please leave a comment below or message me through the Contact Us page.
Do you have any questions regarding the inflatable kayak fishing kayaks described above or kayak fishing in general? Please share with the rest of the KayakFishingCorner community by posting in the Comments section below.